Thursday, July 5, 2012

The Day My Mind Stood Still

Today is the day you've all been waiting for:  I am releasing my skydiving video.  I'm going to let you watch and leave my comments below the fold.

I hope you watched it before reading this far.  Every time I watch it, I have to question my sanity.  Then I question it again when I think about skydiving some more.  You may have noticed I looked very calm when we jumped.  I wasn't.  I think my mind seized up as soon as we left the plane, hence the title of this post. 

The entire event was my brother's high school graduation present; our sister is getting the same thing next year.  We showed up at about 3:00 that day, signed a ream of forms, listened to the instructions, and watched as my brother went first.  That was by his choice.  After he went up, there was a bit of a wait.  Even though he's officially an adult, I will probably always feel responsible for his safely.  It was nearly 30 long minutes before they landed. 

Then it was my turn.  We got into the plane and circled for about 20 minutes, just trying to reach the right altitude of 11,000 feet up.  I was feeling nervous during this, but tried to just enjoy the view.  I had gone to college in that town for a long time and spent my time picking out landmarks.  It was a really nice view.  Then it was time to get attached to Scott.

If you watch for it in the video, you'll see when he opened the plane's door and me saying something not work appropriate.  That is the time it becomes real.  You are moments away from stepping out of a plane that could safely carry you back to the ground.  First, Scott put his left foot on the platform.  Then I placed both my feet.  Next, Scoot placed his right foot outside.  Finally, he called out, "One, two, arch!"  And out we went.

The 'arch' meant I was supposed to keep my arms crossed in front of me and keep my legs bent so that they kicked him in the butt.  As awkward as this sounds, it allowed him to do a flip and deploy the guidance chute.  Three quick taps on my arm meant that I could bring my arms out.  It was very windy when you fall at about 120 mph.  Three taps to my hip meant that I was to pull the chute.  As Scott was attached to the main chute and I was attached to him, he took the main brunt of the force of the deployment. 

Finally, the wind died down and I was able to take my goggles off.  Then we talked, as you saw on the camera, followed by the landing.  The landing should have been a bit less bumpy than it was.  I take the blame for that, as my lower legs weren't up as high as they should have been.  I was to grab the legs of my jumpsuit at the knees and hold it up, so as to land on my butt.  I lifted a bit above the knees, allowing my lower legs to dangle a bit and impact the ground harder than necessary. 

All in all, it was a lot of fun.  I look forward to doing it again when my sister goes next year.  I won't be getting the video again, but I think we'll do a few tricks this tricks this time around.

In other news, I'm in my new place.  Many thanks to my brother for helping with the heavy work.  I'm still unpacking and organizing a week later, but that's to be expected.  I have my birthday in less than two weeks (no plans), a trip to Florida the week after that, and then I start some ballroom dancing lessons.  More fun times ahead, but nothing that gives you the rush of stepping out of a plane two miles from the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment